When Should Advanced Install be Used?
An Advanced Install is used in the following cases:
- When installing to your own SQL Server (instead of using the SQL Express Edition database included with Procare). In this case the Procare Licensing service may be installed on the same (or separate) computer.
Important! Do not install SQL on a domain controller. See: support.microsoft.com/kb/2032911
- When you have a dedicated server (like an applications server) on which to install the supplied SQL Express Edition database, but you do not intend to install the Procare "Client" software. In this case the Procare Licensing service is automatically installed on the same computer.
HInt: You may choose to install the client as well or just follow the Basic Install steps and choose a Full Install (installs the SQL Express database, licensing service and client).
Will you be using Tuition Express?
Before setting up your Tuition Express service you are REQUIRED to review the Tuition Express Implementation Guide
- Begin at the computer that will host the database (and/or licensing service).
- Then go to each individual computer that will run Procare and install the Client software. See: Special Instructions for Procare Touch Computer
Before You Begin
- Check that all Windows Updates have been installed.
- Log on to the computer with local “Administrator” privileges and close all programs.
- If installing on your own SQL Server make sure you have Named Pipes enabled during installation.
Start the CD
- Insert the Procare CD. The installation program should start on its own. To manually start the installation just browse to the Procare CD and dbl-click SETUP.
- Follow the on screen instructions clicking Next as appropriate until you reach the Quick Setup screen then choose a “role” for this computer based on how it will be used and click Next.
- Advanced Install: Choose this option for the computer that will host the database and/or licensing service.
- Client Computer / Workstation: Choose this for the client computers and any computer that will be used as a check in station for families / staff to check in.
Note: If the installation program finds an existing Procare licensing service / database on your network it will automatically select the Client install for you.
- If you chose “Advanced” in the prior step you’ll have these additional options (otherwise skip this step). Select the appropriate options and click Next.
- Supplied Procare Database Server: This option will install the SQL Server Express Edition database (included with Procare). The Licensing Service will also be installed by default. The database and licensing service will be installed to the local machine (the computer from which the installation is launched).
- Use Your Own Database Server: Choose this option to use your own previously installed instance of SQL Server. You must supply credentials to connect to this server. You may attempt to connect using a name like MYSERVER or an IP address. This may be a different computer (remote computer) separate from the local machine on which the installation is launched.
- Licensing Service: When using the Procare Database Server (SQL Express), the Licensing Service must be installed on the same computer, that is, the local machine (the computer from which the installation is launched).
Note: When using Your Own Database Server (SQL Server) you may install to a Separate Licensing Server (if desired). The licensing service is always installed to the local machine (the computer from which the installation is launched). Therefore, if the computer on which you are currently installing is not the computer you wish to use as the licensing server, leave this box unchecked.
- Client Computer / Workstation: Choose the client option too, if you intend to run Procare from this computer as well as perform server duties. The client software is installed to the local machine (the computer from which the installation is launched).
- Enter the Installation Key number that is printed on your CD envelope. If you are installing on a client machine this step will be skipped.
Note: Procare will automatically attempt to download the current module license. If you are not online uncheck the box and manually enter the Module License (which also appears on your CD envelope).
- Continue following the on screen instructions, clicking Next as appropriate.
Note: When doing a client install you’ll be asked if families or employees will be checking in/out from this computer. If you answer "Yes" a separate "Check In" shortcut will be created on the desktop.
- When the installation is complete click Finish. A Procare shortcut will appear on your desktop. You may also have a second shortcut for Procare Check In.
Optional: If you have additional computers that will run Procare, proceed with the installation on each of them, as needed.
Your Next Steps
Once Procare is installed you'll want to Log In for the First Time
then continue with the Quick Start Steps
Windows Power Options
Computers are often set for the hard disk, network card, etc. to turn off after a period of time. Procare strongly advises choosing high performance settings so the computer (and its components) do not go to sleep. See: Power Options for Windows
tags: advanced installation, own SQL server, separate SQL server, own SQL database, SQL server, SQL database.