Charge, credit and payment descriptions are used to record financial transactions to each family account as well as any subsidizing agencies. There are various types of descriptions used for different purposes. For example a charge description might be “Tuition – Infants” or “Late Fee”, while a credit might be “Family Discount” and a payment could be “Pmt by Check” or “Pmt by Cash”.
- From the Procare Home screen click Configuration > System.
- Go to Accounting Management > Family Accounting > dbl-click Charge / Credit Descriptions.
Add New Descriptions
- Click a tab at the top depending on what type of description you wish to work on like Tuition Charge, Other Charge, etc.
Note: Items with a lock (right side) are in use. Dbl-click the lock to see where the item is being used.
- To create a new description click the top (blank) line and enter a name in the Description box like “Tuition: Infants”. Assign it to a revenue account (like 4000.00 Tuition Charges) under the heading GL Account and then tap Enter.
- You will now be on be on the Regions and Schools Exposure screen. Check all locations that need access to this charge. You will not be able post the new description onto ledgers until you Expose it. See: Exposure Settings. Select Save, Exit.
Note: Special Charges & Credits work differently. They are used for deposits to hold a space for a child like a fall enrollment deposit. See: Deposit on Account
Hint: If you have the Agency Accounting module you’ll need a generic Payment Description to use for payments received from any agency like “Pmt by Agency”. It’s best not to expose the agency payment to any locations. This will prevent you from accidentally using the agency description on the ledger card of a family. You’ll also need a Charge Description (like “Transfer from Agency”) to use when an agency does not pay the full amount and it is transferred to the responsibility of the parent. See: Agency Accounting Overview
- Use the Up & Down arrows to change the order, if needed, and then click Save > Exit.